The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: sold friend's stock Date:  2/22/2000  4:19 PM
Author:  uhclem Number:  29618 of 128040

You don't. You received the shares as a gift, you acquired your friend's cost basis, you realized the capital gain, you are responsible for paying taxes on the gain. Hopefully your friend will be willing to reimburse you for the tax you pay on it.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us