The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  I'll do it... but how? Date:  2/27/2000  4:48 PM
Author:  MBGaultney Number:  19549 of 107438

This may be a very FOOLish question... but I don't know the answer, so here goes. I have calculated that I will be better off converting to a Roth from my regular IRA. But how do I do it? Is it done through the brokerage house and do they send the taxes due or is it done through the IRS? Since I will have to pay this hefty tax bill with funds from the account, do I need to liquidate funds and stocks in my account to pay the tax due? And (ouch!)is there anyway to avoid the 10% penalty? Must it all be done in one year or can it be split over many years? And... (final question) will doing this raise my current tax bracket all income for the year? Thank you. :)
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us