The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investors' Roundtable / Rule Breaker - Companies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/take-a-look-at-this-link-i-can-give-you-some-12125040.aspx

Subject:  Re: Rambus (RMBS) - Rule Breaker? Date:  3/4/2000  11:25 AM
Author:  cordoor Number:  2060 of 5847

Take a look at this link. I can give you some perspective over what RDRAM really is and how it stacks up against other things coming up.

This is an excellent article and one I've read in the past.

The truth is, while RDRAM can provide more bandwidth than traditional SDRAM or DDR SDRAM, systems can't take advantage of it. The bottleneck is in the front side bus which currently runs at 133MHz at best. SDRAM can already provide that much bandwidth, and it's a whole lot cheaper. And, SDRAM has lower latency.

Some people suggest RDRAM prices are going to fall to comparable levels with SDRAM. I tend to disagree. Currently if you add an additional 128MB RDRAM to a system (even over at the Dell site) you'll end up paying about $700 more than if you were adding an additional 128MB SDRAM, which has lower latency and already fulfills the 133MHz maximum front side bus speed. It's going to take a long time for that high price to come down.

So, while RAMBUS may be the first and only mover with RDRAM, RDRAM is not necesarily the memory technology of the future. Others are working on better solutions all the time, including Micron.

I wouldn't invest in RAMBUS.

-Corey
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us