The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investors' Roundtable / Rule Breaker - Companies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/hello-i-just-want-to-point-out-that-rdram-is-12126883.aspx

Subject:  Re: Rambus (RMBS) - Rule Breaker? Date:  3/4/2000  4:28 PM
Author:  StephanDupont Number:  2075 of 5847

Hello,

I just want to point out that RDRAM is pretty darn expensive compared to SDRAM. RDRAM is a great product, very fast but unless you want pure performance it might just be too costly for the very price sensitive mainstream PC market. Peole might not be willing to spend hundreds of $$$ more to have RDRAM instead of SDRAM in their systems.

I'm not expert, but i think the main reason for the high price is the fabrication process. It is not efficient compared to the SDRAM process.

You also want to compare RDRAM with the upcoming DDR-SDRAM (Double Data Rate SDRAM) which transfer twice as much information as normal SDRAM and is probably not much more expensive to produce. I think RDRAM would still be faster than DDR-SDRAM but i'm not so sure it will be worth the extra $$$.

I know Rambus is backed by migthy Intel but it will be interesting to see how the story unfold since it appears that Intel switching to SDRAM for most of it's future maintream products leaving RDRAM support only for high-end systems.

The question is can SPEED overcome $$$?

Smile and have fun!

Stephan
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us