The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investors' Roundtable / Rule Breaker - Companies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/rambus-is-a-much-faster-memory-system-than-we-have-12127642.aspx

Subject:  Re: Rambus (RMBS) - Rule Breaker? Date:  3/4/2000  6:40 PM
Author:  Potemkin Number:  2079 of 5847

Rambus is a much faster memory system than we have currently, but the DDR-DRAM will give the same speed benefits of the Rambus. DDR has the advantage, though, in price. Manufacturing plants that currently produce standard SDRAM chips today can be refitted to produce DDR-DRAM chips fairly easily and inexpensively. It is far more expensive to switch the plants over to produce Rambus, in addition to the licensing costs for Rambus. When Rambus and DDR-DRAM compete against each other later this year, comsumers will find that they can get twice as much memory for the same cost if they buy DDR-DRAM.

What is interesting is that Intel is tying itself to the Rambus, and AMD to the DDR-DRAM. If DDR-DRAM becomes the memory of the next several years, Intel may find itself backing the losing side.

I have been a strong supporter of Dell and Intel for years, but I am now considering other manufacturers using an Athlon chip just so I can get the DDR-DRAM memory instead of Rambus.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us