The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Books / Gorilla Game, The

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/neckimran-thank-you-very-much-for-your-analysis-12288333.aspx

Subject:  Re: Risk/Reward of Stocks to Rule the World Date:  3/27/2000  8:15 PM
Author:  Y2Krash Number:  1816 of 8809

Neckimran, thank you very much for your analysis and breakdown. After reading your post I would have to agree with your conclusion on Celera. While I had removed LHSP and BLDP from my list due to the uncertainty of their markets, I had neglected to review CRA using this same criteria. The genomics sector may be more established than the fuel cell or voice recognition sectors but there are still considerable uncertainties pertaining to Celera's business model. I'm a believer in the future of genomics and was looking for the company that provided the greatest chance of success. Genomics will be huge but picking a drug development company today, that will dominate the field in ten years is virtually impossible. Celera doesn't care who wins the battles, it provides the ammunition to both sides. I believe that the company could have an incredible future ahead of it but at this early stage it's just to risky for the top ten list.

After giving it some thought I feel that it might be a good idea to add a second list of the "Stocks That COULD Rule The World". The criteria for this list would be similar to the "Ten stocks to Rule the World" except that we would include those companies who dominated markets where there remained questions about widespread adoption. Ballard Power and the Fuel cell market would be a perfect example of the criteria: A company that dominates an emerging market with enormous potential but also a great deal of uncertainty related to whether this niche will ever grow into a mass market phenomenon.

Let's not forget that simply because a technology is fundamentally better, does not guarantee that it will gain mass market acceptance. I'm sure there's more than a few of you with that wonder of technology known as the Laser Disk Player collecting dust in the back of your closet.

I will begin this list by placing the three obvious names on it:

Ten Stocks That COULD Rule the World:

LERNOUT & HAUSPIE SPEECH (LHSP)
BALLARD POWER (BLDP)
CELERA (CRA)

Please feel free to nominate companies you feel fit the criteria.

Finally, now that CRA has been removed from the Ten Stocks to Rule The World portfolio, there is an empty place that needs to be filled. Anyone have any idea's, some that I would consider are ITWO, ARMHY, BRCD, ARBA.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us