The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Books / Gorilla Game, The

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/measuring-juniper-vs-cisco-12288773.aspx

Subject:  Measuring Juniper vs Cisco Date:  3/27/2000  9:22 PM
Author:  Padavona Number:  1818 of 8813

I'm looking into Juniper as a potential LT investment. So far they seem to be at the forefront of Nextgen networks with router speed. Recently read an article which determined Juniper had already captured 15% of the router market...this is extraordinary if it is true, and makes me wonder about the future of my Cisco shares.

Can anyone direct me to where this information can be gleaned from? Is there any way for the individual investor to track Juniper's penetration into Cisco's marketplace w/o relying on overall revenue #'s?

The last question I have is in regard to Gorilla potential. How do the techies onboard feel - is Juniper's nextgen routers so superior to Cisco's that a discontinuous innovation could occur? What about Cisco protocols...if I understand this correctly Cisco's protocols help maintain the gorilla position. Will the next generation networks have an inherrent need for Cisco's protocols, and if not, is the door wide open for Juniper's superior product to storm thru?

Thanks in advance. I'm doing my best to digest a complex subject.

Dan

Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us