The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investors' Roundtable / Rule Maker Companies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/my-first-10-bagger-12295623.aspx

Subject:  My first 10 bagger Date:  3/28/2000  7:08 PM
Author:  rbrew Number:  5860 of 8329

As of the close of the market today I have my first stock that's gone up 10 fold since I bought it. A high flying dotcom with no earnings? No. A tech high flyer like JDSU? No (though that's closing on 1000% for me quickly !). It's the very first stock I bought back in 1994 - Linear Technology (LLTC). At the time I had never heard of Motley Fool and had no idea I was buying something called a "Rule Maker". It just looked like a solid and steady growth company to me - with lots of proprietary products and nice net margins of 28%. I've just held it for the last 6 years, which hasn't always been easy. It's dropped 50% twice - once in 1996 and again in 1998; but the underlying business always looked solid, and in fact the net margins have risen during that time to a very impressive 38%. Today
LLTC was added to the S&P 500 and surged to $58, which looks very nice next to my split adjusted buy price of $5 3/4. I've seen LLTC listed a couple times in the Rule Maker column/board as an upper tier Rule Maker. I think it's rather pricey right now, but if it drops 50% again I think I'll buy some more.
Buy and hold ! - That's the ticket to long term success.
Thanks for listening - I just had to tell someone and my wife could care less about stocks I'm afraid.
rbrew

Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us