The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Books / Gorilla Game, The

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/give-or-take-a-few-companies-mostly-give-in-that-12379475.aspx

Subject:  Re: Constructing a Portfolio of Gorillas Date:  4/11/2000  10:49 AM
Author:  DirtyDingus Number:  2020 of 8788

Give or take a few companies (mostly give in that I spread myself more thinly), your planned portfolio looks like my actual one. Which has been in its current state for the last year or so and seems to be providing me great returns and not causing hairloss or panic.

I didn't conciously follow the same decision tree you did but the end result looks similar, this is probably a good thing. I went more for the which big companies in a particular technology look like they are going to remain winners and which little ones look like they have a lock on something thats going to make them big. I divided the world up into sectors (chip/componant makers, box makers, service providers, software companies...) and sub categories and picked the company in each area that looked like a winner. I didn't pick a company in every sector and in some sectors I picked more than one.

Areas where you might look for other gorilla are in the telecom areas. For example Nortel as the Optical Supplier, AT&T or MCI Worldcom as a fixed line telco and Vodaphone as wireless telco. All these are int he top (1a,1b or 2a) sorts of category.

DD
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us