The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/pixy-and-others-opinions-please-12393522.aspx

Subject:  PIXY and Others - Opinions, Please! Date:  4/13/2000  11:12 AM
Author:  foolishjk Number:  21169 of 98862

Hi, Pixy, from a "smoky" old friend at a former employer! Yup, I've taken a walk from our former haunt and now am in desperate need of advice and opinions from you and your faithful board denizens.

I need advice on choosing where to put my money - all opinions gratefully accepted, as I'm into my research phase.

Here's the basics:

I've recently left my employer voluntarily. Recent, as in, less than a week ago. I'm taking a breather of about 2 weeks and then will begin drumming up some consulting business, and taking a look around the job market for a new employer.

I have over a year's worth of gross income saved, so cash is not a problem during a period of no cash flow.

I'm 38 years old, no dependents, a fiancee. We'll be married this July.

Approximately 75% of my payout from my former employer comes from a defined benefit plan operated by that employer. The other 25% is from a 401k sponsored by that employer.

I want to put that money to work as my retirement nest egg. I don't want to withraw it for about 20-25 years. I want some financial security for the money. Most of all, I want the investments to grow! (Doh)

What are my options for tax-deferred places to put both pots of money? Pros and cons of any options opined upon please!

As you can tell, I don't have a great deal of experience managing this kind of transaction, so your advice is deeply appreciated.

Yes, I'm reading everything I can on the Fool about retirement planning, 401k's, etc., but I'm very interested in your opinions.

Thanks!

foolishjk (hoping someday to sign my name with a capital F!)

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us