The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  how to roll over a 403(b)? Date:  4/15/2000  3:10 PM
Author:  Zemyna9 Number:  21244 of 90540

I have about $600 in a 501(c) TSA. Contributions were made prior to 1992-1994. I have about $8000 in a 403(b). Contributions were made 1995-1998. I am currently in a situation (due to illness and disability) in which I had no tax liability for 1999, and expect 2000 to be the same. I would like to find a way to roll these over into Roth IRAs while my tax rate is so low. Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so, a discount broker who understands 403(b)s and 501(c)s well enough to let me do it? The relevant IRS handbook seems to say that it is possible to do this, but Firstrade will only roll over 401ks. I would like to be well-informed before I contact Equivest and Lincoln Financial Group with requests to roll funds over. The IRS handbook mentions that you need a "qualifying event" to roll over a 403(b), and I am hoping that becoming disabled will qualify.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us