The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

International Investing / Australia (All-Ordinaries)


Subject:  Re: Property or Shares? Date:  4/17/2000  7:39 PM
Author:  demiller1 Number:  1318 of 6186

What you are asking for is investment advice - this is the doyen of investment advisors.

Your biggest problem is the you need to disclose to your adviser the income earnt - (relative to tax minimisation plans that you are seeking and serviceability of any loans) - whether PAYE, contractors or self employed (to determine maximum superannuation contributions that are tax deductible) - employer (to gauge wage structure and whether salary packaging relevant) - children (to ascertain future education costs) - cash flow (to ascertain when he can charge his fees).

Negative gearing is legal in this country (only country in OPEC nations that it is) however through history one learns that one has to have all other debts paid out first and the structure of the investments (tenants - in - common etal) and borrowings have to be structured to the main income source.

Do yourselves a favour and work out your cash flow - assets and liabilities - goals etal first, then visit an investment adviser.

Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us