The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-looking-for-a-few-opinions-on-my-situation-12488682.aspx

Subject:  Re: Invest or Pay Bills? Date:  4/28/2000  9:17 PM
Author:  rjm1 Number:  21644 of 104773

I looking for a few opinions on my situation, it's not a bad situation to be in, but I'm sort of undecided. I currently have
two IRA's that I invest in for myself and my wife's retirement(A total of $4K a year). I have the ability to invest in my
company's 401K plan(No matching), but also have a vehicle loan($29K @ 8.25%) and school loan($6K @ 7.72%)to
pay off. The student loan can probably be paid off within four months if I directed my excess $ to it. The vehicle could
probably be paid off in two years rather than the six financed. I'm employed as a contractor, so job security(What's
that?) is more or less nil. So the question is, should I pay bills before investing more in a 401K or vice/versa?

Thank's, Mike

Job security (What's that) answers the question for me. Get the debt paid off.

The price of the car and your ability to pay off your loans might indicate that you should try and cut your expenses. Use the savings for an emergency fund and then invest after the debt is gone. Try and pay cash for the next car.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us