The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks C / Cree Inc.

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/previously-on-channel-cree-does-anyone-have-12794994.aspx

Subject:  Re: The future of Cree: Part III Date:  6/24/2000  10:30 PM
Author:  clasota Number:  2642 of 41734

Previously, on channel CREE...

Does anyone have any insight as to whether or not SiC has any optical properties? Any and all answers appreciated.

...From my readings, it appears that SiC as a crystal by itself has a tetrahedral or hexahedral symmetrical structure so chemically it would not be considered optical.

Actually, SiC can come in a variety of crystal structures. I'm not sure which is/are being exploited by CREE, since they're doping it up for the solid-state electronics, but crystal structure alone doesn't determine the optical properties. Mostly, it's the electrons' behaviors within a particular crystal structure that determine this. Believe me, reliably predicting what they will be for a given crystal structure is a difficult problem, and has only really possible within the last decade.

I know, not really on topic, but it's likely that profit-making from optical applications are likely to rely on "non-linear optical" properties, much like the frequency doubling sapphires used to turn YAG infrared laser light into bright green laser light. I've even seen it used in green laser pointers.

clasota
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us