The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Books / Gorilla Game, The

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/first-post-on-gg-board-12868727.aspx

Subject:  First Post on GG Board Date:  7/8/2000  12:00 PM
Author:  sdmeier Number:  3420 of 8813

This is my first post here on the GG board. Currently, by portfolio is mostly Rule Maker companies (Including some Gorillas/Kings INTC, CSCO, MSFT, JDSU.) I'm reasonably comfortable with those holdings. I've been lurking here for a few weeks as I have been reading the book. I appreciate the many intellegent posters and well written posts I have found.

I finished reading the Gorilla Game last week and was beginning to scan some articles to begin to learn/practice the principles taught in the book. My objective is to learn about GG and to add new Gorilla or King candidates entering the bowling alley/tornado to my portfolio as I am able.

My hope is that someone would help me with my first steps in understanding/applying the Gorilla Game principles to real news events/companies. I feel that even my questions are a bit stumbling and poorly stated.

http://www.forbes.com/tool/html/00/Jul/0707/mu1.htm

In scanning, I found this article about DRAM. In summary the article discusses Intel and its relationship with Rambus, and the potential of Via entering the picture to provide DDR chips to fill Intels/PC makers needs for DRAM. VIA Technologies is developing Double Data Rate DRAM (DDR) which is a competitive technology to Rambus RDRAM.

In Gorilla Game Terminology:
1. Older DRAM technologies are pretty much commodities, I think? Is this new DRAM market a discontinuous technology that in the bowling alley or tornado? I understand that Rambus has patents on proprietary standards for new DRAM's technology and that their stock has risen rapidly of late, but am not sure how to judge the phase of market development?
2. Is Rambus the confirmed Gorilla of this market, or are there other Gorilla candidates?
3. Is Via just a Chimp working with another Chimp (AMD), and hoping to develop a relationship with Intel, or are they also a Gorilla candidate?

Thanks in advance for the help,
sdmeier
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us