The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Books / Gorilla Game, The

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/10-gig-fiberchannel-and-10-gig-ethernet-are-both-12891646.aspx

Subject:  Re: Brocade, a Foolish Analysis Date:  7/11/2000  5:24 PM
Author:  DirtyDingus Number:  3446 of 8809

10 Gig Fiberchannel and 10 Gig Ethernet are both deliberately designed to steal as much technology from each other and from SONET/SDH. This is good as it brings products supporting both standards to market sooner and means that they will be interoperable to some extent.

However 10 Gig Ethernet has one big advantage over Fiberchannel that I can think of and that is that it runs IP. FC is a data storage protocol and from what I can tell a remarkably simple one at that. 10GE on the otherhand can act as a storage protocol (using NetApp style NASes) or it can be used to aggregate data traffic over the internet.

I don't really consider the two protocols to be great competitors actually because I think that FC will be able to maintain its dominence in the back end storage market with 10GE dominating the front end data transport, but in terms of which one has the potential to take the market from the other its more likely that 10GE will take market from 10G-FC

DD

PS I do work for a company developing 10GE products
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us