The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Books / Gorilla Game, The

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/how-could-siebel-be-a-gorilla-12900069.aspx

Subject:  How could Siebel be a gorilla? Date:  7/12/2000  3:26 PM
Author:  sstackho Number:  3456 of 8809

Hey Gorilla Gamers,

A while back after the Tech Crash of '00, I read some good information about the blazing-fast growth of Siebel Systems and how perhaps its sell-off was overblown... So I did my DD on the company and took a chance by buying some stock (the biggest perceived risk being overvaluation) and it has done wonderfully for me over the very short timeframe of the past 3 months.

Then, upon learning more about Siebel, I read references about Siebel and this "Gorilla Game" investment mindset. I read more about GG, get interested in it and started reading the book.

As I make my way through the book, I begin to get confused about how Siebel could be considered a gorilla. Primarily, I am getting hung up on the requirement of an "Proprietary open architecture".

So, today I got to the section about CRM and ERP software, and I'm thinking "Great! Now they'll show me why a company in this field could be a gorilla."

Well, I finished the chapter, and I'm still confused. Sure, once a company gets set up using Siebel's software, there may be high switching costs to go to someone else. High barriers to entry? Probably. But a proprietary open architecture? I don't see how this can apply in this situation.

Now, I understand that it's probably the case that each and every gorilla doesn't necessarily have to adhere to all of the Gorilla standards, but I would have thought that Siebel might fit into more of a King role than a Gorilla.

Any guidance/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us