The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Books / Gorilla Game, The

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/dp-the-gorilla-game-revolves-around-12924068.aspx

Subject:  Re: Biotech and GG revisited Date:  7/15/2000  10:00 AM
Author:  tjbd Number:  3479 of 8787

DP:

The Gorilla Game revolves around standardization and industry positioning. I don't see how the average biotech could possibly fit into this model. How does
Amgen or Medimmune effectively become a toll bridge operator or develop Microsoft standardization?

It doesn't. Trying to apply Gorilla Game techniques to Biogen or Immunex is like using past football scores to pick the the NBA finalist.

Dan, The companies mentioned by Tinkershaw were Abgenix
and Mederex:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1360002000422000&sort=id

And it IS a picks and shovels situation, IMO. Geoff Moore talked about the Biomed industry not being in control of the technology adoption due to the need for gov't approval of drugs and processes, etc.

But if you read Tinkers post, these two companies wares ARE being licensed already. The research is going on now and so far, there has been no need for gov't oversight.
Naturally, that will change when someone develops a drug using this technology and wants to bring it to market.

With a few differences, this is a similar situation to the one Qualcomm is facing now, companies may freely license Qualcomms technology, but governments in places like China and Korea have a say in how and when companies in those countries can begin implementing it.

It's not the same situation here in the US, and that's why there are competing standards, but European governments, too, have significant influence on which technology will be adopted there.

So if you read Tinkers post again with QCOM in mind, you may (or may not) begin to see a possibility there.

In any case, I didn't think it deserved to be dismissed out of hand as it was obvious to me that a great deal of work went into the research behind that post.

And it seems to me, we benefit greatly by finding a gorilla game in places others are not watching, for whatever reason, and getting in there before the mob.

Abgenix and/or Mederex may/may not end up in a gorilla game. True gorillas are VERY RARE. But you can't say, without the benefit of hindsight, that you would have picked Cisco or Siebel at the same stage in their development. Or maybe you can, people can say what they want, it just might not be credible.

With that in mind, how can anyone say that there will/will not eventually be a gorilla game in any high=tech industry so early?

Ofcouse, that's just my opinion. FWIW BWTFDIK, etc.

Tim
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us