The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fool Community Help Desk / Fool News & Commentary

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/oh-i-see-because-the-boards-are-supposed-to-be-a-12936121.aspx

Subject:  Re: Continuing the conversation Date:  7/17/2000  2:04 PM
Author:  chrisb76 Number:  4553 of 10419

Oh I see because the boards are supposed to be a forum for free and open disucssion and any attempts to censor them by Yahoo or TMF or anybody else would be improper and a violation of free speech.

I agree that Yahoo could change if they wanted, and it would be legal. TMF has monitors for it's boards. The best boards on the net are the ones that have monitors. This is not to censor anyone (though occasionally it happens, the monitors are human after all), and does not violate anyone's free speech because hey, it's TMF's board, not ours, so they can control it however they wish.

I don't know how that applies to email, but for message boards, I have no problem with the owner of the board monitoring it for appropriate content.

I guess ... then we'd have to watch the Napster suit to find out. If that works, then maybe they will sue Yahoo! :-)

liable

That guy who said we're all spelling libel wrong forgot there are two different words, liable and libel. Now everyone really is spelling it wrong! :-) (sorry I couldn't resist pointing this out, especially when the "correcter" needs to be corrected :-)

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us