The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fool Community Help Desk / Fool News & Commentary

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ive-never-posted-to-this-board-b4-i-actually-12937145.aspx

Subject:  Re: Continuing the conversation Date:  7/17/2000  4:08 PM
Author:  peadirog Number:  4555 of 10419

I've never posted to this board b4. I actually followed a link from the Elan thread to get here. I've read the recent Motley Fool article about the CSFB suit against the Elan 11 and felt it was seriously under researched. I got the impression that the Elan 11 were being compared to those whose posts are regularly abusive or contain vulgar language. I'd be the first to criticise such posts and have done so on numerous occasions in the past. These types of posts can quickly turn a message board into a cesspool.

The Elan message board has never had this problem. It is generally more professional and courteous than most. The majority of the regular posters are long term investors who direct each other to recent news items regarding the company. There is a sense of mutual respect among its posters and real friendships have been nurtured. In fact, a group of its posters from several countries are getting together in Dublin this November to attend an Elan Conference and just basically have a good time.
I've followed hundreds of message boards over the last few years and I can, without hesitation, state that the Elan board is easily the most civil and informative that I've come across.

Some of the Elan 11, including myself, are getting sued for one post out of hundreds. I personally cannot understand the motive behind the suit, but I believe it's something other than has been proclaimed. The Motley Fool might be providing a more useful service if it were to chase up this angle.

I would also ask the writer of the recent article on this subject to reassess his position. Take some time to get a feel for the Elan message board (b4 the suit changed its character) and then do some research on the analyst in question. Check out his reports on Elan, the timing and the regularity. Also, check the content versus the available information at the time. Compare them to other analysts. Look at the bigger picture.

The majority of the Elan 11 are courteous and intelligent posters. They are the backbone of the Elan board. They are the ones you would remove from the board if you wanted to stifle its effectiveness. If the Motley Fool is concerned about the quality of message boards in general, then it should make a distinction between these posters and the ones who are abusive. In this case, there is a real danger of throwing out the baby and keeping the water.

kindest regards,
Peadir 'Og (one of the Elan 11 and a concerned retail investor)

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us