The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fool Community Help Desk / Fool News & Commentary

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/hello-eric-im-sure-happy-to-see-you-here-you-12947497.aspx

Subject:  Re: Technicality Date:  7/18/2000  6:02 PM
Author:  TMFSpirit Number:  4584 of 10419

Hello Eric,

I'm sure happy to see you here!

You said; Yahoo, the Motley Fool, AOL and every other provider of message boards, has been granted immunity from defamation suits for comments made by forum participants (section 270 of the Commuications Decency Act). The US Supreme Court has affirmed the validity of that immunity in Zeran v. AOL.

Excellent! I'm glad you cleared that up for us.

You added; This ELN suit, and others like it (I am defense counsel in one such suit) appear to be intended to chill the free speech that people enjoy, and to punish them with legal fees.

This is a fundamentally improper use of the Courts, and an attempt to infringe on the rights of others to participate in free speech.

I agree with you and sure hope the court does too. In my opinion CSFB is trying to stop critics from speaking their minds or rendering their opinions by using the courts instead of the hooded men who went after our Freedom of Speech in the past. Intimidation and legal fees now instead of the ole dungeon and rack?

Thanks for sharing your legal opinion with us.

Best wishes,

Sharon aka Spirit
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us