The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Converting Annuity to SEP Date:  7/21/2000  2:33 PM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  23536 of 90528

Greeting, Photobyrob, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I currently have a variable annuity with Northwestern Mutal Life Ins. The annuity was funded with 401(k) funds I needed to put somewhere after I left two previous jobs. I have not added any additional money to the account, which is currently invested 100% in the Index 500 (S&P 500 tracking fund)option of the NML program. The balance is currently around $10,000. I am self-employed, 35 yrs old, and I would like to start contributing to the account. But this means contributing after-tax dollars with no immediate tax benefits. My question is--Can I take that money from the annuity account and open a new SEP account somewhere else?>>

Yes, after you have established your SEP=IRA, then you may have the annuity proceeds transferred to that IRA. Be aware that once you do that and make additional contributions to that IRA based on your self-employed income, then those proceeds will be forevermore ineligible for a subsequent transfer to a future employer's 401k plan. If you want to preserve that ability, then you should establish a separate IRA for the annuity proceeds or leave it alone entirely.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us