The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Need Info on self-dir IRA Date:  8/10/2000  10:32 AM
Author:  sfpc2770 Number:  24041 of 105935

<<My question is this. If my 401(k) assets (stock of various companies) are with the same custodian as are my IRAs (Schwab), can I simply roll over the 401(k) shares into an IRA without liquidating them?>>

Almost certainly no. BUT -- On very rare occasions it's possible when the custodian and plan administrator are one and the same. So, ask Schwab. My bet is the answer will be you cannot do so because the 401k and the IRA are two different vehicles or accounts.

Sorry to de-lurk here in this manner, but I thought I'd make a comment on the above.

I'm currently in the process of rolling over an old 401k (GE) into a rollover IRA held at Schwab. According to both GE and Schwab, I can indeed roll over stock shares into the new IRA. GE simply requires a written letter stating:
1) The new IRA will accept stock as "stock in kind"
2) List my name, social security number
3) How to make check payable (for liquidated funds) and how to register the stocks for the shares I'm rolling over.
4) Schwab's tax id #
5) My new IRA acct #
6) Schwab's address.

A call to Schwab confirmed this and got the letter sent. Waiting to see the results now, but as far as I can tell, this will go through without a problem. Other plan admins and brokers might be different, but it is possible.

Just my .02.


Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us