The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/annuities-13166924.aspx

Subject:  Annuities Date:  8/22/2000  9:14 AM
Author:  philipcwilliams Number:  4897 of 22193

After perusing your insightful articles on the pitfalls of investing in annuities, I thought I'd better ask your opinion about the situation of many of us in academia. TIAA-CREF has long been a leader in the management of 401(k) plans for faculty and staff at universities across the nation. Their traditional annuity currently guarantees a return of 8.5% with very low risk. Other current choices include a real estate annuity (currently running at 9.0% with slightly higher risk), a money market fund (around 7.0%), and various equity and bond mutual funds. Picking individual stocks is not an option. I'm 48 years old and am a conservative investor. I'm worried that the current market is close to being 40% overvalued by historical measures (3 x book value, 15 x EPS, 24 X dividends). Doesn't it make sense for me to invest a sizeable chunk of my retirement money in a highly respected, low risk annuity paying a respectable return, rather than gamble on an equity index or corporate bond fund?

Thanks for your advice.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us