The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Mechanical Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/my-first-year-of-mechanical-investing-13172543.aspx

Subject:  My first year of mechanical investing Date:  8/22/2000  7:03 PM
Author:  Mbauer Number:  77628 of 279357

When I started investing three years ago, I had no clue what I was doing. I started by trying to dig through all of the Mutual Funds to find the best performers because I had believed all of the rhetoric about how great Mutual funds are. Then, two years later, having been subjected to subpar and even negative returns I stumbled upon a website, The Motley Fool. I started reading and I couldn't believe it. I thought that I was simply picking the wrong mutual funds. But the TMF told me that I had picked the wrong investment vehicle not the wrong Mutual funds. As I read I came upon an article about Mechanical investing and I thought this is for me. All that I have to do is check my stocks once a month (or for whatever holding period I choose), make the necessary changes and I can make money even beat the major indices? So I thought what the heck I'll give it a try. I chose the RS26 stock screen using the top 5 stocks on the list with monthly rebalancing. That was last September (Sept 12 to be exact). To date I have earned a whopping 360% return on that initial investment. WOW!! Now I know that I can't expect those kind of returns all the time, there might be years when I even lose money. But to be able to easily and succesfully invest is a blessing. Thank you David and Tim for everything that you have done for us, the individual investors.

P.S. I recently reworked my portfolio to include the PEG26 screen. Let's see how I do in the next year.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us