The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Books / Gorilla Game, The

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/al-wow-thats-a-heck-of-a-list-of-items-for-13190692.aspx

Subject:  Re: MI as a hunting ground for young Gorillas Date:  8/25/2000  2:15 PM
Author:  BruceBrown Number:  3988 of 8783

Al,

Wow! That's a heck of a list of items for screening. You might be better off checking in here for candidates. <ggg> However, there are some items on that list that might help at least rule out things that are not candidates. First, as you said the subjective items are not going to plug into a screen. Boy, if you could get a screen to run these six criteria.....

A potential GG company must meet these criteria:

1. Discontinuous innovation
2. Proprietary open architecture
3. High barriers to entry
4. High switching costs
5. Strong value chain formation
6. Tornado market exists or foreseeable

I would suggest at least the basics of:

• four letter ticker symbols only
• projected sales growth rate
• Sales Growth 1-Year
• industry/segments must be high technology only

along with any combination that might fit your knowledge. Early candidates will have N/A for the P/E ratios, then once the profits start to come in these P/E's will be very high as compared to a more mature technology company. Perhaps there is some way to screen for that, I don't know.

It sounds like an interesting exercise, but I'm afraid the criteria I list above might be more telling in the early to mid stages than anything a screen might be able to identify. If you study the 'game' closely enough, you'll understand just why that is. Probably best to identify as soon as possible new companies that crop up and what industry their technology targets. Why? Because a gorilla game evolves due to a 'problem' that needs to be 'fixed' by some sort of technology solution. These target niches are what causes new companies and niche segments to crop up in the first place. In that sense, for the early candidates, perhaps screening for companies that are one month to one year old. After that, the market pretty much knows and is well aware of their technology and position in their segment and will be talked about on various boards including this one.

BB

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us