The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Mechanical Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/in-fact-mobely-just-wrote-the-intro--13197123.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Position Sizing: Percent Volatility Mo Date:  8/26/2000  11:10 PM
Author:  jtatman Number:  78166 of 275156

In fact Mobely just wrote the intro.
No, he's more than that. I think protege is a better term. And as a graduate of Tharps $30,000 series of courses he doesnt inspire much confidence in me. Tharps courses in part deal with psychological issues that impair effective trading. Maybe Tharp forgot to tell him not to steal from old people.

Regarding the percent volatility strategy, in the book
Tharp says it was tested using some software called Athena. Athena, actually, seems to be a commercial software tool.

Correct, Athena is also developed and sold by Tharps company. I hope you arent insinuating that just beacuse its software then the results are valid.

This kind of position size, at least in theory, it makes a lot of sense.

Perhaps, but in every TA book you will find the authors pet indicator and an application to prove its usefulness. 99% are curve fit. In Tharps case the study was done on 10 commodities for ten years. Not bad but you need know more, like were the commodities picked randomly or are they the ones that gave the best performance. How does it perform on 10 different commodities? What about stocks?

Anyway my biggest rap on Tharp is that I couldn't reproduce his results. If you can, more power to ya.

Jeff

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us