The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Taxes on IRAs -living overseas Date:  9/8/2000  3:20 AM
Author:  ferneyvoltaire Number:  39697 of 127987

I am an American who would like to retire in France. My wife and I have a rollover IRA (from a retirement account from a employer), individual IRA's for my wife and I and a taxable investment account, all of which are with a large brokerage company.

How will each of these accounts be treated when I start taking money out of them in terms of income or capital gains tax?

Is capital gains in the US taxable in France? I have read the tax treaty between France and the US and in the capital gains section, it only refers to
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us