The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Mechanical Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/a-value-line-timeliness-1-ranking-could-in-and-of-13275265.aspx

Subject:  Re: PEGNT (no timeliness) Date:  9/9/2000  3:10 PM
Author:  TMFElan Number:  79866 of 275661

A Value Line timeliness 1 ranking could in and of itself introduce a bias, IOW stocks might perform just a little better simply by dint of having a T1 ranking. Unfortunately there is no real way to test this theory.

A T1 ranking may have a similar influence to a "strong buy" from some analyst. I think the influence is short lived. VL's Timeliness rankings don't even grab any media attention, so their influence may be smaller yet.

CMGI & AMZN had both been high-fliers for a couple of years before finally appearing in the VL1700.

... two opportunities missed because the stocks did not appear on the Value Line scope.

Mercifully. I'm grateful to VL for not rushing to include all the dot com wonders last year. The losses we saw in the recent unpleasantness are chickenfeed compared to what might have been.

As you can tell I'm pretty content with VL's rankings, and unconcerned about the risk of their sudden disappearance. Value Line has been ranking stocks consistently for 35 years. There aren't many such stable institutions in the stock market.

There are some good reasons to seek non-VL screens. They would broaden the pool of stocks from which to choose. I don't think the imminent demise of VL is a good reason.

Elan
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us