The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks V / Viacom, Inc.

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/yesterday-while-i-was-driving-home-npr-announced-13358559.aspx

Subject:  Re: Election Media Spending Date:  9/23/2000  9:30 PM
Author:  Goofyhoofy Number:  85 of 312

Yesterday while I was driving home, NPR announced that over $550m has been raised in campaign contributions this year. They also noted that the overwhelming majority of this money will be spent for media ads Is there any analysis or projections available on the impact of this potentail revenue stream?

I replied to this question in post #82.

I just returned from the NAB Radio Convention in San Francisco, and talked with several (radio) station managers, who told me the 4th quarter is turning soft.

One says he has cancelled almost $1 million in pre-booked national business in that quarter. Although the industry was running 10-20% ahead by the end of the 2nd quarter, I heard from more than one person that they will be lucky to close out the year at an equal billing rate as last year.

That was news to me, as our business is good, but I thought I would post some less optimistic views which I heard from people "out there in the field" this past week. Incidentally, several of the people I talked to were in "toss-up" political states: Pennsylvania, Illinois, Michigan. FWIW
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us