The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/dates-for-calculating-capital-gains-13487986.aspx

Subject:  Dates for calculating Capital Gains Date:  10/15/2000  9:43 AM
Author:  rsyfool Number:  40855 of 131266

I would really appreciate if experts on this board could help me with this basic question. While calculating Capital Gains do you take into consideration the dates you actually traded (bought and sold)the stocks or the settlement dates for these trades? the settlement date at my brokerage is 3 days out form the trade date. The question arose because I use Microsoft Money to calculate the Capital Gains by entering the Trade dates as I go along-but the Statement from my Brokerage show the Settlement Date as the dates for my buying and selling the stocks. In the end it does not change the time interval I hold the stocks for- but for reporting to the IRS which dates should be put on schedule D?

The other problem I have faced is that if I trade(buy) on a Friday, the settlement date is 5 days out because of the weekend. For the long term Cap Gains if I hold the stock for 1 year and 1 day and sell it(trade) on a weekday,where the settlement date is 3 days out, then the time period for this particular stock may not be 1 year 1 day if settlement dates are taken into account.Can somebody enlighten me on this please.

Thanks in advance

rsyfool
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us