The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Folly in 50 States and the World / Folly in Colorado

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/1how-do-i-organize-myself-i-would-suggest-13571623.aspx

Subject:  Re: Help a student out Date:  10/26/2000  7:47 PM
Author:  YodaCo Number:  931 of 6293

1.How do I organize myself?

I would suggest starting with the 13 Foolish Steps (you can find them in the Fool School area on this site). Like Miriam said, track your expenses, then set up a budget. Once you figure out what you have, where it's going & what your bills are, then you can proceed.

Good advice: Stay away, far away, from Credit Card Debt!!

Next step: Set an achievable goal (say, "trim expenses by 10% and maintain that spending level for 3-4 months" or "save $500 in 5 months"). Achieving this "easy" goal will motivate you to achieve another goal. Goals should be concrete ($500), achievable (if you make $600/week, you aren't going to save $500/week...not reaslistic!), and, at first, short term (6 months or less). After achieving those first few goals, set the bar a bit higher.......say $166.67/month towards an IRA (=$2000/year).

Setting goals, matching the $$$, and using the 13 Steps will set you on a road to a healthy financial future.

Fool On!

-YodaCo
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us