The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Rolling an IRA back to a 401K Date:  11/14/2000  11:38 PM
Author:  TMFExRO Number:  26144 of 105397

I do not have an IRS publication to referance this, but in the text I am studying for a state license it states:

"You cannot rollover or exchange a personal or Roth IRA to a 401K retirement plan but you can roll a retirement fund into an IRA."

You may want to consult a tax advisor or your plan administrator, because it apears you have conflicting oppinions.

So might you, because your study guide--or your interpretation of it--is wrong. The creature is a "conduit" IRA, which is a traditional IRA holding only funds rolled in from a qualified plan and earnings on them. Its special feature is that it can be rolled into a qualified plan, if that plan allows. You can read about conduit IRAs in IRS Publications 575 and 590.

Roth IRAs cannot be rolled into qualified plans because a Roth IRA cannot be a conduit IRA. I have no idea what your guide means by a "personal" IRA. There's no such creature in tax law.

Phil Marti
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us