The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Self-Employed Fools


Subject:  Re: starting out - who do I need to help? Date:  11/15/2000  9:06 AM
Author:  2gifts Number:  2191 of 15023

Thanks to everyone so far for the helpful information. I am thinking that my best bet might be to talk to both a tax attorney and an accountant to see what they can offer. If nothing else, I will need to speak with a few of these folks just to find one that I could work well with. And I could start by having someone help me to do the initial set-up, and if I think I can do it myself, then do that, which sounds like a reasonable plan.

I checked out the Quicken site, and they have a list of what they call QuickBook Certified Advisers. I don't know if I need that, but it does make sense to me to use someone who is familiar with the software I will be using if only to be able to transfer data files. Anyhow, it turns out that my little town of 3500 people has 2 of these folks with one of them being a street over from my house, so I might start with local calls.

I do know that I am obsessive with record-keeping and keeping things separate, so that should help us immensely in keeping expenses and income separate regardless of how we structure. I always kept a separate checkbook and credit card for the rental property, and bought everything separate from my personal items whenever we were shopping so that I could keep the receipts and charges separate. And I generally know what are considered business expenses and how to do allocations, so that should also help.

I'll keep reading here to see what else I need to be thinking, and if I have any other questions, I'll be sure to ask. You guys are just a wealth of knowledge!
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us