The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Undoing a Roth IRA contribution Date:  12/12/2000  9:49 PM
Author:  TTE Number:  26570 of 94937

Early this year I made my contribution for year 2000 to my Roth IRA for myself and my wife ($2000 each). Now, due to an unexpected bonus from work, my AGI will exceed $160,000 which means I am not eligible for a Roth IRA in 2000. How do I undo my contributions as well as the net loss/gain on the stocks that the $$ were invested in? Do I have to convert this to a regular IRA or can I just pull the money back out? Note: the 2000 contributions were put into an existing account that already contains 1998 and 1999 contributions so I can't convert the entire account...these earlier contributions need to stay as a Roth IRA.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us