The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-wrote-no-it-doesnt-make-sense-assuming-you-13894291.aspx

Subject:  Re: plan for the kids Date:  12/13/2000  2:04 PM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  26590 of 94982

I wrote:

No, it doesn't make sense. Assuming you stay in the 38% tax bracket when you receive that $38K, then it will cost you that 28% plus the 10% early withdrawal penalty (assuming you were younger than 55 when you left the job at your old employer. That means you will net just 52% of those funds, or $23,560. That's a high price to pay to get that money into a custodial account.

Unfortunately, I didn't proof that close enough as my number typing fingers slipped. That should read:

No, it doesn't make sense. Assuming you stay in the 28% tax bracket when you receive that $38K, then it will cost you that 28% plus the 10% early withdrawal penalty (assuming you were younger than 55 when you left the job at your old employer. That means you will net just 62% of those funds, or $23,560. That's a high price to pay to get that money into a custodial account.

Regards..Pixy
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us