The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Deferring Taxes Date:  1/10/2001  5:10 AM
Author:  TMFExRO Number:  27073 of 101060

I'm maxed out on my 401K contributions, and we put $2,000 each (my wife and I) in Roth IRAs. Is there anywhere else we can rathole some money with some tax breaks?

If there are stocks or tax-efficient mutual funds that you want to invest in for the long haul, the fact that the investment is in a taxable account won't necessarily mean much current tax. Capital gains are not taxed until you sell, and then at favored rates if you've held for more than a year.

Phil Marti

Hot off the press! Check out The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide 2001. It comes complete with a money-back guarantee. (Sorry, the steak knives are extra.)
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us