The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: A question Date:  1/16/2001  8:33 AM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  27228 of 105386

Greetings, ngerm1963, and welcome. You asked:

I have a non Roth IRA and a 401 K. All of the contributiions to the IRA were in after tax dollars. Can I convert to a roth? Is the conversion a non taxable event as they $ in the IRA was after tax dollars?

Yes, you may convert your IRA to a Roth IRA and pay income taxes only on any earnings above and beyond your contributions.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us