The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fool Community Help Desk / Fool News & Commentary

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-agree-with-all-of-georgepurcells-points-except-14155818.aspx

Subject:  Re: Why TMFOtter (may) be wrong.... Date:  1/19/2001  11:00 PM
Author:  nedaero Number:  5974 of 10419

I agree with all of georgepurcell's points except the last, as I think it does illustrate a broader trend. I use a particular credit card as much as possible, down to all my groceries and gas and books and prescriptions, to get the cash rebate (which I calculated is roughly equivalent to the value of other cards' frequent flyer miles). I pay in full every month, and get a nice check every December (if you can't pay in full, this approach would be a mistake). And it is very convenient as a tool, as I hate to carry cash or checkbooks. I know others who do the same. When you take out this kind of purchasing as well as the corporate cards mentioned in the article (a good point), the impact of all the debt is less than it seems, although I am surprised a bit--I'd have thought debt would have been decreasing over the last year.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us