The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Self-employment tax Date:  2/1/2001  12:26 PM
Author:  Dadunga Number:  45299 of 132868

I had a full time job in 2000 and received a W-2 from my employer. In 2000, I also did some miscellaneous computer consulting on the side for another company. I received a 1099 for that income ($8,000).

My question is this: Can I avoid paying self-employment tax on my 1099 income because I am technically not self-employed--I am employed full time by another company. Also, I did not earn the consulting money on a regular basis. I earned about half of it in January 2000 and the other half in September. If I list the $8,000 as miscellaneous income on my 1040 and not compute SE tax, will I get a letter from the IRS?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us