The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: non-cash contribution--car Date:  2/11/2001  11:50 PM
Author:  Bob78164 Number:  46208 of 129584

phoebesnow writes (in part):

Now, I'm preparing my taxes. The old car had a blue book value of $1,300. However, because the value of the donation is over $500, I have to report my cost-basis. I can't figure out what my cost-basis is. This car was a gift to me, although my dad did incur a cost. Can anyone give me some advice on what I should report as the cost-basis? Thank you in advance.

I reply:

Are you sure it was a car and not a taxicab? And did you get it from your dad or your grandmother? ;-)

Neither question is relevant to the tax question you have asked. When you receive property as a gift, you take the donor's basis and holding period. The loss is a personal loss, so it's not deductible. The charitable contribution, as I believe you know, is the fair market value of the car at the time you donated it to charity. --Bob
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us