The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Traditional IRA to a Roth ...taxes ? Date:  2/12/2001  10:55 AM
Author:  drifting101 Number:  46236 of 133017

In 2000 I "rolled-over" a 401(k) into a "self-directed" IRA. In the same year I did a partial conversion of the IRA into a ROTH.

Well, as we all know , the market got ugly !

My ROTH was worth MUCH less than at the time of the conversion so I "recharacterized" the ROTH back into the Traditonal IRA in November 2000.

Whew !

I've received two 1099-R forms , one showing the conversion( and a hefty taxable amount ) and the second showing the "recharacterization" without a taxable amount.

My question is : How do I file BOTH of these forms for tax purposes ? I've tried filing the 1099-R with the taxable amount and it got depressing! I can't find a method to file while indicating to the IRS that the transaction is not valid.

ANY help would be appreciated - thanks !

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us