The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Shorting Stocks

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/you-have-a-lot-of-competition-as-accountants-wax-14575623.aspx

Subject:  Re: LT investors, think before you short Date:  3/18/2001  4:11 PM
Author:  XXLTINVESTOR Number:  7761 of 44633

You have a lot of competition as accountants wax enthusiastic about the big tax benefits of a tank which does not go terminal (no tax due until 11 or cover but the profit is margin in ones account) especially now during tax season.

I just don't want to get into fights like 50% off day at the old Sterns, Kleins, Bambergers or Korvette's trying to retain the borrowed stock against big pro's beating brokers over the head with baseball bats to get the same thing as a stock enters the terminal zone - 1/2 to 5. But I understand the benefits.

As to AMZN its the distraction from focus risk of an m&a co-venture that could louse up my head when my own current personal agenda is to identify the best long-term longs and the price to buy them plus cash management of long and new purchase vs declining cash. Simply put, if AMZN ran up to 15-17 and I were still short the same amount as on 2/15, I would lose it for a while. So, in essence, it's an anger management thing.

On the short side, still looking for future executive misconduct defendants whose price is above $15.

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us