The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks T / TyCom, Ltd.

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/what-you-are-saying-is-if-the-undersea-cable-14673528.aspx

Subject:  Re: $7 per share!? I don't think so. Date:  3/31/2001  6:11 PM
Author:  NicolaiNJ Number:  76 of 136

What you are saying is if the undersea cable networks business model fail, then TCM is the best investment because they can fall back on supplying these failed business models. It would be a one shot deal. I personally would not want to be in the business of supplying a proven failed business model.

ummmmmduuuhhh:
I have neither the time nor the desire to educate your ignorant butt on the telecommunications industry. The quick take-aways are:

1) The incumbent telco providers have been around for almost 100 years. And guess what, they'll be around after you and I are long gone. You call the business model failed? You must be some kind of moron. The incumbents are the only telcos with stock prices that aren't falling apart! Incumbents have real profits! Of course, you probably don't know what those are.

2) Believe it or not, the incumbents do offer data services and do have to expand their transoceanic capacity. Yes, even if TSIX and LVLT go to zero, data traffic across the Atlantic and Pacific will still be growing. Thus, there will still be business for TyCom and Alcatel (the top two subsea fiber-optic system manufacturers) as new subsea systems are required in the future.

Nick
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us