The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: name on tax return Date:  4/14/2001  9:04 AM
Author:  BostonCPA Number:  50247 of 129673

<< Yep, the IRS looks at SS records to compare your name with your social security number. So, if you haven't yet changed your name down at SS, you should still use your maiden name on your tax return. Then, this summer, you should contact the SS people and change your name over to your married name. >>

This is a great point because this year the IRS is specifically targeting spouses who have not changed to their married name. I have already had three clients receive letters from the IRS saying that their personal exemption will be disallowed because their married last name doesn't match their social security number on record.

The problem can be easily resolved with a phone call to the IRS (they give you the number to call on the notice). However, people should be aware of this situation before they file to avoid the delay of getting their return processed.

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us