The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Dependent Question Date:  4/14/2001  11:42 PM
Author:  Meteran Number:  50269 of 129623

When my husband divorced, he and his ex were given joint managing conservatorship of their son. It was not stipulated in the divorce decree who would get to take him as a deduction, but for '97 thru '99, his mother took the deduction. In 11/99, the boy committed a crime and was sentenced to a juvenile facility, which is where he was the entire year of 2000. My husband's child support was mandated to be paid to the state juvenile facility, but the boy's mother was not court-ordered to provide any support. Since the ex paid nothing toward the boy's support and since he didn't reside with her during 2000, can my husband claim his son as a dependent on the 2000 tax return. The ex signing a release form is not an option. Thank you.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us