The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: To move my shares into a Roth or not? Date:  4/15/2001  5:51 PM
Author:  Crosenfield Number:  50295 of 130192

By law, the only thing you can put into an IRA is MONEY.
If you already have shares in a traditional IRA that you
would like to transfer to a Roth, they go in as of their
value on the date you make the conversion, and that's the
price on which you pay taxes.
See preceding threads about very special circumstances in which
you might be able to deduct losses in a Roth. The Roth
is intended to be a long term investment and hopefully you
choose well enough that the value of the account at retirement
time won't be less than its cost.
Best wishes, Chris
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us