The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Can one transfer non-tradable stock into a R Date:  4/16/2001  4:18 PM
Author:  JAFO31 Number:  50356 of 130961

kaliban: "I have stock in my company, which is currently a privately held corporation, and I would like to transfer $2000 worth of this stock into a Roth. Alternately, I could buy an additional $2000 worth of the stock through a Roth.

The problem is that so far I can not find an administrator to play along. Most seem equipped only to deal with publicly traded securities. How can I purchase stock in a privately held company or transfer stock in a privately held company to a Roth IRA?"

All new contributions to any IRA, whether Roth or traditional, must be cash; assets already in an IRA may be rolled over or transferred to another IRA. Thus, you cannot transfer stock that you own directly (i.e., outside an IRA or certain other retirement plans) to an IRA, regardless whether the stock is publicly traded or in a privately held corporation.

With respect to the purchase, I suspect (but do not really know), that that whatever rights youhave to purchase teh stock are personal to you and not ransferrable to the trustee and/or, if not publicly traded, the trustee will want an attorney opinion letter that registrationis not necessary and that the trustee is permitted to purchase the stock without the stock being registered (and which not even be true), which, in any event, would we an expense far in excess of the permitted $2000 contribution. The resident pros may be able to answer the second part of your question with more detail.

Regards, JAFO

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us