The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

International Investing / Australia (All-Ordinaries)

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/youre-always-welcome-with-the-help-sounds-like-14798035.aspx

Subject:  Re: symex - financials Date:  4/19/2001  7:55 AM
Author:  wayjo Number:  2229 of 6186

You're always welcome with the help - sounds like your self education program is heading the right direction anyway.

Never have bought Foodland but given it some sporadic thought over the years. The amount of debt, low profit margins and the recent change in CEO have all put me off.

However, having said that, Maple Brown own 10% of the company and one of the directors bought 5,000 shares for himself at the end of March, so there are some positives there as well. The debt still worries me though.

If you like retail stocks there are 2 which I think represent good value at the moment that you might want to check out.

Colorado (CDO) - shoes and clothing. CEO seems to be kicking goals with the Colorado brand and selling for less than 5 times EBIT. Solly Lew holds 20% of the company and they recently have taken over Palmer which is the Jag brand. Young management team in place.

Sabre Group (SBE) - Fudge and Joico haircare. Run by husband and wife team who own 37% of the company and floated the company about 1994. Virtually no debt and sells for 5 times EBIT as well. Fudge brand seems to be going gangbusters both here and overseas and the company is predicting 15- 20% growth in profits. Hunter Hall (who I respect immensely) own 13% of the company and it is his largest Australian investment.

I must declare I own shares in Sabre and bought some more only last month and I may possibly buy some shares in Colorado in the near future after the AGM in 3 weeks time.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask for help

Regards
Wayne
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us