The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools


Subject:  Re: 401k rollovers of appreciated Stock Date:  4/25/2001  5:45 PM
Author:  gopete Number:  6582 of 22894

As a supplement to TMFPixy's excellent reply, you also have the option of rolling over just the cash portion of the 401k into an IRA and taking an "in kind" distribution of the stock whereby you father would be taxed on the cost basis of the stock (as provided by the company plan administrator)in the year of distribution. If he needs to sell stock at a later time, he would be taxed at the capital gain rate.
Found this approach beneficial with my 401k. Good luck --- gopete
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us